Cameron Diaz, the talented actress, is not just known for her on-screen skills but also her knack for culinary delights. In October 2021, she took to Instagram to share her rendition of a quick, flavorful, and highly customizable ramen dish that she fondly calls “Whatever-You-Got” Ramen.
Diaz’s recipe is a celebration of using what you have on hand, encouraging her followers to get creative with their choice of ingredients while maintaining the essence of the dish.
The actress uses a variety of vegetables in her ramen, depending on what she has in her fridge. She encourages everyone to use ingredients that suit their personal flavor profiles and preferences.
So, whether you want to watch Cameron Diaz prepare her delicious “Whatever-You-Got” Ramen on Instagram or prefer to read the recipe, you’re in for a culinary treat that’s as enjoyable to prepare as it is to eat.
“Whatever-You-Got” RamenCourse: Main CourseCuisine: Asian
A delicious, spicy shiitake mushroom ramen that’s easy to prepare and perfect for a quick, satisfying meal.
3 cups chicken stock
Vegetable or olive oil
½ cup shiitake mushrooms, sliced
½ cup carrot, diced
½ cup celery, diced
½ cup broccoli florets
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon shallot, diced
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
1 tablespoon ginger, minced
1 tablespoon crunchy garlic chili sauce (aka chile crisp)
2 packets instant ramen, any flavor (Diaz uses lemongrass ginger and garlic pepper)
Juice from ½ a lime
1 teaspoon rice vinegar
1 tablespoon cilantro, roughly chopped
- Begin by heating a medium saucepan and bringing the chicken stock to a boil.
- Simultaneously, heat vegetable or olive oil in a skillet and sauté the sliced shiitake mushrooms until they develop a slightly crisp texture. Once done, transfer the mushrooms to a separate bowl. Using the same skillet, add a drizzle of oil and sauté the diced carrot, celery, and broccoli florets until they become tender. Add the previously sautéed shiitake mushrooms back to the skillet, followed by the sesame oil, diced shallot, minced garlic, and minced ginger. Cook the mixture until it becomes fragrant, then add the chile crisp. Turn off the heat.
- Carefully add the flavor packets from the instant ramen to the boiling chicken stock. Subsequently, add the noodles and cook them according to the instructions on the package. Crack the egg into the pot and whisk it immediately to break up the egg. Add the cooked vegetable mixture to the pot, combining it with the noodles and broth.
- Transfer the ramen to a serving bowl, and to add the finishing touches, drizzle the lime juice, rice vinegar, and sprinkle the roughly chopped cilantro on top.
- Feel free to adjust the spice level by adding more or less chile crisp, according to your preference.
- For a vegetarian version, use vegetable stock instead of chicken stock and opt for vegetable-based ramen flavor packets.
- You can also add other proteins such as tofu, shrimp, or sliced cooked chicken to the dish.
This spicy shiitake mushroom ramen pairs well with a simple green salad, steamed dumplings, or edamame for a complete and satisfying meal. Enjoy with a cold beer or a glass of chilled white wine for the perfect dining experience.