The Sensational “Jennifer Aniston Salad” took social media by storm this year, with its mix of bulgur wheat (or quinoa), chickpeas, cucumbers, red onion, fresh herbs, feta cheese, and pistachios. Rumors circulated that Jennifer Aniston had this meal every day for a decade while shooting Friends.
However, Aniston recently addressed the hype in an interview, revealing that she never actually ate the now-famous salad on set! The confusion began when Aniston shared the recipe during an Instagram takeover for Living Proof.
Though she did eat the so-called “Jennifer Aniston Salad,” it was not the one she enjoyed while filming Friends. According to an article in the Los Angeles Times, Aniston’s co-stars Lisa Kudrow and Courtney Cox confirmed that the real salad Jennifer Aniston consumed on set was a modified Cobb salad, complete with added chickpeas and turkey bacon.
Despite the mix-up, the initial “Jennifer Aniston Salad” remains a delectable, share-worthy, and utterly satisfying dish. As fans of cooking with bulgur wheat on our blog, we couldn’t resist sharing the recipe with you!
Jennifer Aniston SaladCourse: Salad, Lunch, DinnerCuisine: Mediterranean
A refreshing and nutritious bulgur wheat salad with chickpeas, feta, and a zesty lemon dressing that is perfect for warm weather gatherings or a healthy meal.
- For the Bulgur Wheat
1 cup bulgur wheat or quinoa
2 cups water or vegetable or chicken stock
- For the Salad Dressing
¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
½ teaspoon kosher salt, more to taste
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- For the Salad
1 English cucumber chopped (about 1 cup) 1 15 oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
⅓ cup red onion chopped
½ cup fresh mint chopped
½ cup fresh parsley chopped
½ cup pistachios shelled and roughly chopped
½ cup crumbled feta
- In a medium saucepan, combine the bulgur wheat (or quinoa) and water or stock. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until tender. Drain any excess liquid and let cool.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper to create the dressing.
- In a large bowl, combine the cooked bulgur wheat, cucumber, chickpeas, red onion, mint, parsley, and pistachios.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to combine.
- Gently fold in the crumbled feta and serve.
- You can substitute quinoa for a gluten-free option.
- Customize the salad by adding other vegetables like cherry tomatoes or bell peppers.
This Refreshing Bulgur Wheat Salad with Chickpeas and Feta is perfect for picnics, potlucks, or as a light and healthy meal. It pairs well with grilled chicken, fish, or a simple vegetable side dish.
You can make it ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator to allow the flavors to meld even more. Enjoy this nutritious and delicious salad on a warm day or whenever you crave a refreshing, satisfying meal.