If you or a loved one has diabetes, finding delicious and healthy meals can be a challenge. But fear not! This recipe for Diabetic-Friendly Lemon Chicken Spinach Pasta is not only packed with flavor, but it’s also low in carbohydrates and high in protein.
Plus, it’s easy to make and perfect for a quick weeknight dinner.
The star of this dish is the flavorful lemon chicken, which is cooked to perfection with garlic and white wine. Then, the chicken is combined with gluten-free penne pasta (or whole-wheat penne pasta, if you prefer), fresh spinach, and Parmesan cheese.
The result is a light, refreshing, and filling meal that you’ll love.
Diabetic-Friendly Lemon Chicken Spinach PastaCourse: DinnerCuisine: Italian
8 ounces gluten-free penne pasta or whole-wheat penne pasta
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast or thighs, trimmed, if necessary, and cut into bite-size pieces
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground pepper
4 cloves garlic, minced
½ cup dry white wine
Juice and zest of 1 lemon
10 cups chopped fresh spinach
4 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- Cook the pasta according to package instructions until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper and add it to the skillet. Cook for 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until browned on all sides.
- Add the garlic to the skillet and cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Pour the white wine into the skillet and stir to scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add the lemon juice and zest to the skillet and stir to combine.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the chopped spinach to the skillet. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the spinach has wilted.
- Add the cooked pasta to the skillet and stir to combine everything. Divide the pasta and chicken mixture evenly among four plates.
- Sprinkle each plate with 1 tablespoon of grated Parmesan cheese and serve immediately.
This Diabetic-Friendly Lemon Chicken Spinach Pasta pairs well with a side salad, such as a simple mixed greens salad or a Greek salad. You could also serve it with a side of roasted vegetables, such as broccoli or asparagus. And don’t forget a glass of refreshing iced tea to wash it all down!
This recipe is perfect for a quick and easy weeknight dinner, but it’s also great for meal prepping or a weekend lunch. You can make a double batch and enjoy the leftovers for lunch throughout the week.