There’s nothing quite as cozy and comforting as a warm bowl of broccoli cheese soup. It’s a classic favorite that’s perfect for those chilly evenings when you’re craving something creamy and delicious. And today, my friend, we’re going to show you how to make the most delightful broccoli cheese soup that will have your taste buds singing for joy!
What makes this broccoli cheese soup extra special is its perfect balance of flavors and textures. The creamy, velvety base, tender broccoli florets, and a generous sprinkling of sharp cheddar cheese come together to create a symphony of deliciousness in every bite.
Starting with the Basics: Fresh Ingredients
Like any great recipe, our broccoli cheese soup begins with the freshest ingredients. Choose vibrant, crisp broccoli, aromatic onions and garlic, and high-quality sharp cheddar cheese. These simple ingredients, when combined with love and care, will elevate your soup to new heights.
A Touch of Creaminess: The Roux
Our soup’s luxurious creaminess comes from a simple roux, made with butter and flour. By whisking these ingredients together and allowing them to cook gently, we create a thick, velvety base that perfectly complements the flavors of broccoli and cheese.
Building Layers of Flavor: Aromatics and Spices
To enhance the natural flavors of our ingredients, we sauté onions and garlic until they’re soft and fragrant. A pinch of nutmeg adds warmth and depth to the soup, while the combination of vegetable broth and milk creates a rich, flavorful foundation.
Bringing It All Together: Simmering and Blending
Once our base is ready, we’ll add the broccoli florets and let the soup simmer gently until the broccoli is tender. For an extra smooth soup, you can use an immersion blender to create a silky texture. Finally, we’ll stir in the shredded cheddar cheese, allowing it to melt and meld with the other flavors in the soup.
The Perfect Finish: A Simple Garnish
To serve, ladle your broccoli cheese soup into bowls and garnish with a sprinkle of extra shredded cheddar, a few fresh broccoli florets, and a dash of freshly ground black pepper. Enjoy with a slice of crusty bread for the ultimate comfort food experience.
In the end, this broccoli cheese soup journey is more than just about creating a delicious dish; it’s about sharing warmth, love, and nourishment with those around you. So gather your loved ones, grab a spoon, and dig in – your bowl of homemade broccoli cheese soup awaits!
Creamy Broccoli Cheese SoupCourse: SoupCuisine: American
A delicious, creamy, and comforting broccoli cheese soup that will leave your taste buds singing for joy!
4 cups fresh broccoli florets
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups vegetable broth
2 cups whole milk
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add onions and garlic, sautéing until softened, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add flour to the pot, stirring to combine, and cook for 1 minute.
- Gradually add vegetable broth and milk, whisking continuously to avoid lumps. Bring to a gentle simmer and cook until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the broccoli florets to the pot and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until the broccoli is tender.
- Remove the pot from heat and stir in the shredded cheddar cheese until fully melted. Season with nutmeg, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot, garnished with extra shredded cheese, if desired.
- For a smoother soup, use an immersion blender to puree the soup before adding the cheese.
- Feel free to use a mix of cheeses for a more complex flavor, such as Gruyère or Colby Jack.
- To make this soup vegan, substitute the milk with your preferred plant-based milk, and use vegan cheese and butter.
This creamy broccoli cheese soup pairs wonderfully with crusty bread or a simple side salad for a light yet satisfying meal. It’s also a great accompaniment to a hearty sandwich, like a grilled cheese or a turkey and avocado panini.
If you’re looking for a more substantial dinner, serve the soup alongside a baked potato or a slice of savory quiche. No matter how you choose to enjoy it, this soup is sure to become a comforting favorite in your home!