Hey there, beautiful readers! I’m excited to share this delightful Black Bean Burger with Avocado Lime Slaw recipe that I discovered during a trip to a friend’s house in California. It was a warm, sunny day, and we decided to have a casual backyard BBQ. My friend made these delicious, healthy black bean burgers, and everyone loved them!
These vegetarian burgers are a favorite because they’re packed with flavor and wholesome ingredients, perfect for those who crave a healthier alternative to the traditional beef burger. The recipe uses no-salt-added black beans, which are a great source of plant-based protein and fiber. The avocado lime slaw adds a creamy, tangy touch that brings everything together beautifully.
Another reason people love this recipe is that it’s super versatile. You can serve these burgers alongside your favorite salad, baked sweet potato fries, or grilled veggies for a satisfying meal. Plus, they’re a great option for meal prep as the patties can be frozen and reheated when needed.
Black Bean Burgers with Avocado Lime SlawCourse: Lunch, DinnerCuisine: American
A healthy and delicious vegetarian black bean burger with creamy avocado lime slaw that’s perfect for a quick and satisfying meal.
1 (15 ounce) can no-salt-added black beans rinsed
2 cloves garlic, minced divided
½ teaspoon ground cumin ½ teaspoon salt divided
⅛ teaspoon ground pepper
¼ cup crushed tortilla chips or panko breadcrumbs
¼ cup quick-cooking oats
2 tablespoons toasted pumpkin seeds, chopped
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro plus 1/2 cup, divided
1 large egg lightly beaten
¼ cup low-fat plain Greek yogurt
1 teaspoon lime zest
2 tablespoons lime juice
2 tablespoons water
4 cups shredded cabbage (green and/or red)
2 teaspoons olive oil
4 whole-wheat buns, halved and toasted
- In a large bowl, mash black beans with a fork until mostly smooth.
- Add half the minced garlic, cumin, half the salt, pepper, crushed tortilla chips, oats, pumpkin seeds, 2 tablespoons cilantro, and beaten egg. Mix well and form into 4 patties.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook patties for 4-5 minutes on each side, until golden and heated through.
- In a blender, combine Greek yogurt, avocado, lime zest, lime juice, water, remaining garlic, and remaining salt. Blend until smooth.
- In a medium bowl, toss shredded cabbage with 1/2 cup cilantro and avocado lime dressing.
- Assemble burgers by placing patties on the bottom half of the toasted buns, topping with avocado lime slaw, and covering with the top half of the buns.
- Patties can be made ahead of time and frozen for up to 3 months.
- Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before cooking.