Get ready to take your taste buds to Scandinavia with this delicious Swedish Meatballs recipe. These meatballs are the ultimate comfort food with a savory blend of beef mixed with warming spices.
These meatballs are super easy to make and perfect for weekdays and weekends. Whether you serve them over mashed potatoes or egg noodles, these Swedish Meatballs will surely become a family favorite.
Traditional Swedish MeatballsCourse: DinnerCuisine: Swedish
- For The Meatballs
2 lb. ground beef
¼ cup onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
¼ cup parsley, chopped
½ cup dry bread crumbs
1 whole egg
½ tsp. allspice powder
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. salt
¼ cup Vegetable oil
- For The Sauce
¼ cup butter, unsalted
3 tbsp. all-purpose flour
2 cups beef broth
1 cup heavy cream
Black pepper, to taste
Salt, to taste
- Add the minced beef, chopped onions, garlic, egg, breadcrumbs, parsley, allspice powder, black pepper, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Mix well using your hands until everything is well incorporated.
- Roll small portions of this mixture to form equal-sized meatballs.
- In a skillet, heat oil. Place meatballs in hot oil in a single layer. Fry the meatballs by flipping them to get equal golden brown color. Once done, take them out of the skillet and set them aside.
- For the Sauce
- Add butter to the same pan and let it melt.
- Add all-purpose flour and mix until the two ingredients combine and the all-purpose starts to get a golden color.
- Take the pan off the heat and slowly pour beef stock. Using a whisker, whisk so that you get a smooth mixture.
- Place the pan back over the stovetop and add heavy cream. Continue to whisk.
- Place cooked meatballs into the sauce and let the sauce simmer for about 10 minutes. Once the sauce reaches desired consistency, serve it with your favorite side.
- You can use a combination of beef and pork meat instead of just beef. Moreover, you can also use lean turkey meat to make turkey meatballs.
- You can spice the gravy by adding red chili flake or paprika powder.