Hey lovely readers! Let me share with you a fantastic recipe I discovered while visiting my cousin in Portland last fall. It was a crisp, chilly day, and we were craving something warm and nourishing, when she introduced me to this delightful Warm Lentil and Roasted Root Vegetable Salad. It was love at first bite!
This recipe is absolutely adored by everyone who tries it, and it’s easy to see why. It’s a warm, comforting dish perfect for cooler weather, with earthy lentils and roasted root vegetables as the stars. The combination of spices like coriander, cumin, and allspice adds depth and warmth to the dish, making it even more scrumptious.
And the best part? It’s super healthy and packed with nutrients, thanks to the protein-rich lentils and fiber-filled veggies.
One time, I accidentally overcooked the lentils, and they turned a bit mushy. But instead of panicking, I embraced the situation and turned it into a warm, comforting lentil stew by adding some vegetable broth and extra seasoning.
It turned out delicious! So, if you ever find yourself in a similar situation, don’t worry – just get creative and enjoy the process.
Warm Lentil and Roasted Root Vegetable SaladCourse: Lunch, Dinner, SaladCuisine: Mediterranean
A warm, hearty, and nutritious lentil and roasted root vegetable salad, packed with flavor and perfect for a healthy and comforting meal.
1 ½ cups water
½ cup black beluga lentils or French green lentils
1 teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon ground coriander
½ teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon ground allspice
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
⅛ teaspoon sumac (optional)
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 clove garlic, smashed
1 1/2 cups roasted root vegetables
2 cups chopped kale or beet greens
1 teaspoon ground coriander
⅛ teaspoon ground pepper
Pinch of kosher salt
2 tablespoons tahini or low-fat plain yogurt
Fresh parsley for garnish
- In a medium saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add lentils, reduce heat, and simmer for 25-30 minutes until tender.
- While lentils are cooking, in a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Add smashed garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add roasted root vegetables, kale or beet greens, 1 teaspoon ground coriander, ground pepper, and a pinch of kosher salt to the skillet. Cook for 5-7 minutes until vegetables are heated through and greens are wilted.
- Once lentils are cooked, drain any excess water and return lentils to the saucepan. Stir in garlic powder, ½ teaspoon ground coriander, ground cumin, ground allspice, ¼ teaspoon kosher salt, sumac (if using), lemon juice, and 1 teaspoon olive oil.
- To serve, divide the spiced lentils among 4 plates or bowls, top with warm vegetables, drizzle with tahini or yogurt, and garnish with fresh parsley.
- You can use any combination of roasted root vegetables such as carrots, parsnips, beets, or sweet potatoes, depending on what’s in season or what you have on hand.
- For a more convenient option, you can use store-bought pre-roasted vegetables or roast a large batch of veggies during your weekend meal prep and store them in the refrigerator to use throughout the week.
This salad is great for when you need a satisfying yet light meal. It’s perfect for a quick weekday lunch or dinner, and also makes a fantastic side dish at potlucks or holiday gatherings. I’ve personally served it as a side on Thanksgiving, and my family loved it!
You can pair it with a simple green salad, some crusty whole-grain bread, or even a piece of grilled chicken or fish for a more filling meal.