If you’re looking for a comforting and hearty soup that’s easy to make and diabetic-friendly, you’re in the right place. This recipe for Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup is sure to hit the spot. It’s a classic soup that’s packed with wholesome ingredients and bursting with flavor.
By using reduced-sodium chicken broth, adding plenty of vegetables, and incorporating wild rice instead of regular rice, this soup is not only delicious but also good for you.
One of the best things about this soup is that it’s incredibly easy to make. With just a few simple ingredients and about 30 minutes, you’ll have a warm and satisfying meal that’s perfect for any day of the week.
I love making this soup on a chilly day or when I’m feeling under the weather. It’s also great for meal prep, as it can be easily stored in the fridge or freezer and reheated for a quick and easy lunch or dinner.
So, grab your apron and let’s get cooking! This Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup is sure to become a new favorite in your household.
Creamy Mushroom and Wild Rice SoupCourse: Appetizer, Side Dish, SoupsCuisine: American
A delicious and hearty soup that combines the earthy flavors of mushrooms and nutty wild rice with a creamy broth.
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
2 cups sliced mushrooms, (about 4 ounces)
¾ cup chopped celery
¾ cup chopped carrots
¼ cup chopped shallots
¼ cup all-purpose flour
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 cup quick-cooking or instant wild rice
3 cups shredded cooked chicken or turkey
½ cup reduced-fat sour cream
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add mushrooms, celery, carrots, and shallots and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add flour, salt, and pepper and stir to coat vegetables. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Gradually add chicken broth, stirring constantly to prevent lumps from forming. Add wild rice and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, until rice is tender, about 20-25 minutes.
- Stir in cooked chicken or turkey and simmer until heated through, about 5-7 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in sour cream and parsley.
- Ladle soup into bowls and serve hot.
- Garnish with additional parsley, if desired.
- Enjoy your creamy and delicious mushroom and wild rice soup!
- You can use either fresh or dried mushrooms for this recipe. If using dried mushrooms, soak them in hot water for 30 minutes before using.
- If you prefer a thicker soup, you can add more flour or use heavy cream instead of half-and-half.
- To make this soup vegetarian, use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth and omit the bacon.
- This soup can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or frozen for up to 3 months. Reheat on the stove over low heat, stirring occasionally.