Have you ever thought about having a burrito for breakfast? Then keep reading this simple recipe for the most delicious breakfast burritos recipe that will leave you wanting more.
Easy Breakfast BurritoCourse: BreakfastCuisine: Mexican
2 teaspoons canola oil
1/2 small red onion (diced)
1 red bell pepper (seeded and diced)
1 cup canned black beans (drained and rinsed)
1/4 teaspoon chili flakes
Freshly ground black pepper
4 whole eggs
4 egg whites
1/3 cup shredded pepper Jack cheese
non-stick cooking spray
4 whole wheat tortillas (burrito size)
1/4 cup reduced fat-free sour cream
1/4 cup salsa
1 large tomato (seeded and diced)
1 small avocado (cubed)
- Add 2 teaspoons of canola oil to a large non-stick skillet. Heat over medium-high heat.
- Once the oil is hot, add in diced onions and peppers. Cook for about 8 minutes so the onions are soft and the peppers are slightly charred.
- Then add black beans and black pepper flakes and cook for another 3 minutes or until warmed through. Use low-sodium black beans if possible, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Transfer and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk 4 whole eggs and 4 egg whites together. Once whisked, stir in your cheese.
- Reheat your skillet over medium heat and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Turn the heat to low before adding in the whisked eggs. Scramble for about 3 minutes or until cooked through.
- Spread a tablespoon of sour cream over each tortilla. If you don’t have sour cream, use 2 percent plain Greek yogurt instead.
- Add salsa to your tortillas and then layer each with 1/4 of the black bean mixture, 1/4 of the scrambled eggs, some diced tomato, and 1/4 of the avocado. Add hot sauce to taste, roll up, and enjoy your homemade breakfast burritos.